Name:
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States

Saturday, June 17, 2006

On being needed

About ten years ago I built a bird feeder, painted it and named it the Suisse Chalet after an ice cream parlor in Berlin. Then I hung it up in my grandparents garden and started feeding the birds every morning. We had several dozen finches, a couple of doves and some sparrows.
When I left for law school, I figured the birds would stop coming around because no one else cared to feed them.

My grandparents still feed the birds to this day.

In the morning, as soon as someone turns on the kitchen light, the birds fly by the window until someone feeds them. Grandma was complaining about having to feed the birds last night, but I think secretly she likes it. She has assigned the duty to my dad and his wife for the next several days while they are visiting my and my sister.

I think everyone should wake up in the morning and feel like they are needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home